Easter is just around the corner, four days around the the corner to be exact. As adults, we have to take time to inject a little whimsy into our lives. We’re working every day. We’re paying bills. We’re balancing personal commitments. It’s important to take time for fun and creativity. That’s what these Chocolate Easter Egg Bars are all about for me – the smooth taste of chocolate with a double dose of whimsy.
It’s all too tempting to just grab a bag or two of candy from the local store to treat those close to you. However, a handmade chocolatey gift adds a special touch that can’t be found nestled in a Hershey or Nestle wrapper. The act of giving something you made is entirely different. Sure, a child may not appreciate the distinction, but you will, knowing this chocolate delicacy is a creation all your own. Your adult gift recipients will definitely detect and appreciate the difference. Or better yet, you will appreciate it when you devour them!
Chocolate Easter Egg Bars are easy to make and will be ready in 20 minutes. That’s right – these can be ready in less time than it will take to go to the store, pick up a bag of candy, wait in line, and head home! The recipe is utter simplicity. If you have a microwave, a spoon, and a freezer, you can make these chocolate bars. No baking. Very little mess. Even less fuss.
I love Easter because it ushers in the moment when I think, “Wow, it’s spring.” And as any reader of my blog knows, I’m no fan of warm weather. However, I’ll admit that I love watching the world around me return to hues of green and see things begin to perk up. By Easter, I’m plotting and executing my gardening for the year. This year, we’re delving into growing food with a raspberry bush and strawberry and pepper plants. They’re barely in the ground, but I’m already plotting a recipe for strawberry tarts.
I enjoy, too, seeing the neighborhood kids in their Easter finery, passing by an Easter egg hunt and the search for chocolate encased in brightly colored eggs. It’s a fun time of year, a time of renewal and rejuvenation. And chocolate. Lots and lots of chocolate. So, if you want to make something special this Easter that won’t be littering every kid’s basket or each gift your friends receive, I recommend these bars. Happy Easter! Happy Spring!
Chocolate Easter Egg Bars
Makes six bars
- Two cups milk chocolate chips
- Two tablespoons peanut oil – or coconut oil if preferred
- 10 white chocolate Cadbury Mini Eggs candies
- 10 milk chocolate Cadbury Mini Eggs candies
- Combine milk chocolate chips and oil into a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 45 seconds.
- Remove from microwave and stir. If the chocolate is not completely melted, place back in the microwave and microwave in 10 second intervals until fully melted.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper. Pour the melted chocolate into the pan. Ensure that the entire bottom is covered.
- Place the candies in the chocolate in the pattern you desire. If you are making the bars for white chocolate lovers and haters alike, place the white chocolate on only one side to make some bars with, some without.
- Place the loaf pan in the freezer for 15 minutes to allow chocolate to set and harden.
- Remove from freezer and chop horizontally. Depending on the width of your bars, your yield may be more or less. I chopped mine at just over an inch in width each. Enjoy!