I’ve been basking in a wave of disappointment. On Monday, with Christmas Eve just a day away, I found myself stepping out of the house in flip-flops. No, folks – I don’t live in sunny California or Florida. I live in Virginia. When I think Christmas, I think sweaters and scarves, not traipsing about in my summer footwear.
With weather like this, a traditional apple or pumpkin pie feels out of place to me. Instead, I wanted to opt for something to celebrate the holiday that involved a cool texture with holiday flavor. Hazelnuts and chocolate are the essence of the holidays! So, I devised a easy, no-bake pie that encompasses those two flavors.
As I was assembling this pie, I was reminiscing about the first time I encountered the recipe for a no-bake, icebox style pie. My grandmother – who I affectionately called Gran Jean – made a decadent, three ingredient pie she called “lemonade icebox pie.” I was no cook or baker at that time, and the very thought of creating anything edible was befuddling. She saw my youthful skepticism but shared the recipe anyway. It was the first time an extended family had bestowed a culinary secret upon me. I remember making that pie after she shared it with me and feeling this boundless sense of pride. “Look, look! Look what I made!” She later taught to me to make french toast and various types of eggs.
I miss her. I’ll always think of her when I’m making a no-bake pie, a cool concoction meant to be stored in the refrigerator or freezer.
Ferrero Rocher is a favorite chocolate around my house. We eat them mostly around the holidays, although they make their way into the candy dish at other times of the year as well. Smooth chocolate meets the ever festive hazelnut. They are rich and deeply satisfying, and since these chocolates are our favorite at Christmas, I decided to make a pie centered on this candy and its two central flavors.
This pie encompasses the two key characteristics: a decadent treat for the palate and rich and filling to the stomach. After making, it can be stored in the refrigerator or the freezer. I actually prefer it in the freezer because I like that stiffer, almost ice cream like texture.
This pie is certainly a delicious holiday treat, but it is also an decadent treat at other times of the year. A cool pie like this is also great to serve during spring and summer months.
Ferrero Rocher Pie
- 28 chocolate wafer cookies, crushed – I used chocolate Oreos
- 3 1/2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3/4 cup hazelnut chocolate spread – I used Nutella
- 8 ounces Cool Whip
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup confectioners sugar
- 3 ounces 60% cacao dark chocolate, chopped very fine
- 10 Ferrero Rocher chocolates, coarsely chopped
- 6 ounces Cool Whip
- 4 Ferrero Rocher chocolates, coarsely chopped
- To begin, prepare your cookies and chocolate. Using a food processor, crush the cookies into a fine crumble. Set aside. Using a small pairing knife, gently run the knife along the dark chocolate bar, creating small shavings. This is a bit time consuming but completely worth it. Large chunks will not work in this filling. Set chocolate aside. Do the same with the Ferrero Rocher chocolates and set aside.
- Melt butter and combine with cookie until all the crumbs are saturated.
- Using a 9-inch pie plate, press the crumbs into the bottom of the pie plate, covering the entire surface and forming the crust. Make sure the cookie mixture is evenly distributed. Place in the freezer.
- With an electric hand or standing mixer, combine the cream cheese, shaved dark chocolate, sugar, and hazelnut chocolate spread. In three to five minutes, the mixture should become light and fluffy. Then, on a low setting, combine Cool Whip and 10 chopped Ferrero Rocher chocolates. Combine well.
- Remove the crust from the freezer. Using a spatula, spread the filling mixture over the crust, covering completely and smoothly. Return to the freezer for 15 to 20 minutes to allow the filling to firm.
- Once the filling has grown semi-firm, remove from freezer. Cover the filling with Cool Whip. Then, sprinkle with remaining four Ferrero Rocher chocolate pieces.
- Serve and enjoy!